Friday, July 07, 2006

A Refashionista Rethinks Fashion

I start this blog knowing that people all over the world are obsessed with fashion. I read various fashion magazines at the library, in bookstores, on the plane. I stand in front of the mirror putting together my clothes in new combinations and trying them on repeatedly. I browse for clothes and buy things I don't need.

The history of fashion is thus:
- In the beginning, people wore leaves, or skins, or (gasp) their birthday suits
- Then, there was fashion.
- After fashion, came the fashionista.
- With an increasing use of resources, some wise young people decided to destruct and reconstruct their clothes into new forms - the REfashionista came into being.
(See Wardrobe Refashion, which has been a great source of inspiration)

But making your clothes different doesn't rid you of them. It only creates more clothes you can hang on to longer. Together with bought fabric, more and more thread and needles and velcro and buttons, your one shirt becomes two, two become four, and before you know it, you have a wardrobe full of new old clothes.

In my efforts to live a more simple lifestyle, I have tried the following:
1. Stopping buying new clothes
- but I keep getting gifts and hand-me downs
2. Getting rid of clothes periodically to Goodwill, Freecycle, Craigslist
3. Buying organic and sustainable whenever I can

But it's hard, darn it, to keep from still trying on and making clothes and sighing over things in store windows.

SO, My first step towards realizing what I already have is to count up every single piece of clothing and accessories that I own. A huge task, but one that must be done, because I'm moving soon, too!

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

rani said...

testing 123...does this work?