Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Socks HELP!

I really really really want to knit a pair of socks.

But I have two limitations:
- I don't have the right needles, I think
- I don't know how

All the tutorials on the web (that I could find, anyway) are beyond my comprehension. There appear to be three needles and then magically they turn into four. Or they turn at the heel SOMEhow and then lose me.

I also only have one set of 3 double-pointed needles. They are 3mm in size. Otherwise I have 2 size 11 circular needles, and straight (single-point) needles in a variety of sizes.

Can anyone out there help me figure out how to proceed without buying a whole new set of needles? Is that even possible?

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Have you tried your local store where you buy the yarn? I know that our yarn store offers free lessons with the purchase of yarn. Just a thought.

kate5kiwis said...

yeah, R13 and i are going to stay with my mum in a couple of weekends and knit scarves as a first project... then she can show/help/fix all my holes
mum has a huge stash of wool and wool-that-needs-to-be-spun.
i am a very impatient knitter, i prefer to sew cos the result happens faster lol.

Gaia said...

Hmmm, I know there are patterns to knit on straight needles and then seam.

3 dpns will not be enough. You need at least 4 and 5 would be nice. You cast on to 3 needles and arrange them like a triangle. Then you use the 4th needle to knit off one of the other needles. The 4th needle then becomes part of the triangle and you have a free needle again.

There is a way to knit socks on circular needles (google "magic loop sock knitting" - not in quotes) but I think a size 11 will be way too large. I knit lion brand homespun on size 2 needles and still have to futz with the pattern to get the socks the right size.

Gaia said...

Knitting socks on 2 needles - http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTsoxon2stix.html

http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/cotton_chen_whisp_slipprs_layout.html

Just because I like the variety of patterns and I know you will get good at this - http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/free_patterns/socks.php