Sunday, October 28, 2007

Applicious

Edit: photos now!

Today (this was Sunday) I did some major baking-supply shopping: molasses, baking cocoa, flour, marzipan (which I might eat before I use...), chocolate, cookies, and other necessities.

So I promptly locked all that away (except the marzipan, just for a taste) and made more apple-licious creations!

I tried: Apple jam

Used this recipe. I added a tbsp of agar-agar to help it gel and a pinch of ground cloves for taste. I blended it afterwards to make a smooth paste.

Then I had lots of apple peels left, so I made a spicy Apple Chutney.

In oil, I sauteed a pinch of asafoetida, then added the peels, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1.5tsp salt, and 2 tsp chili powder. Cooked covered 5 min until softened, then 2 more min uncovered (until the liquid is gone). Then ground medium-fine (not a paste but no recognizable peels) and jarred.

It's REALLY spicy so it'll go best as a side-dish to chapatis or on bread.

Of course, all the cores, etc. got composted. In retrospect, I could have boiled them (sans seeds) to make a juice. My mom also told me about some pretty apple-seed necklaces people make. I'd like to make one of those someday.

No comments: