Thursday, November 01, 2007

NaNoWriMo

No that's not a weird new technological gadget, that's the short form of National Novel Writing Month, which happens to be... this month!

I didn't officially sign up for it, because I am really unsure whether I can do it, considering the number of partially-written stories and novels that are now littering my various computers and email Draft boxes.

The rules are to write a 50,000 word novel within a month, from Nov 1 to midnight Nov 30. That's a lot of words. In fact, it works out to almost 1667 words a day.

I started today with a story for which I'd already written 400 words. I added 1300 words today (I'm amazed at myself, must be beginner's enthusiasm).

Suffice it to say - it's environmental and partly autobiographical and not very fictional. I'm definitely not qualified to sign up this year!

My first sentence: "Okay, I'll be the first to admit it: I'm a hopeless optimist."

It just goes to show that a hopeless optimist would be trying to write a 50,000-word novel in 30 days. haha.

No comments: