Sunday, November 18, 2007

VeganMoFo 18: Failures

I tried making the vegan microwave peda according to the recipe I posted before. And it was a complete disaster. I must have used at least 2 cups of soymilk powder, plus an extra 1/4 stick of margarine, and it was still as soupy and goopy and sticky as, say, cake batter. Not good.

My mom tried to save it by adding in all-purpose flour and more soymilk powder, plus more Earth Balance, and still, not much better (though slightly thicker). Sigh.

Finally, she added coconut powder and even more sugar and butter and cooked it until it was thick. When poured to cool it came out like taffy and we rolled it into little balls until it cooled to a solid hard-candy. Phew - too much work!

In the meantime, my dad made up a fantastic cream sauce with pasta. It had coriander and jalapenos and kalamata olives and zucchini sauteed in olive oil, in a cashew-soymilk sauce. As before, filling but gone like *that*.

No comments: