Tuesday, November 20, 2007

VeganMoFo 20: Pain and gain


Somehow I've been steadily gaining weight over the last week or two. Five pounds, anyone?

I think it can be attributed to the cupcakes. And the sweets. And the snacks. And the candy made from soymilk and soymilk powder.

I haven't done any other major cooking so I am instead going to tell you about a new vegetable: drumstick leaves. If you don't know what drumsticks are, they are long bean-like veggies that grow from a tree hanging downwards. They can be cut and cooked and put into curries.

But the leaves of the tree are small and round, and taste a little like clover raw (here is a picture I found here (they also have a good recipe there). You have to remove all the stems and stalks, because they are tough and inedible. Then you boil the leaves for 10 minutes in water.

For seasoning, I prefer the simplicity of a little curry powder and salt. The leaves are slightly bitter, but that adds depth, and they are a lovely dark green when cooked which is oh so good for you.

No comments: