Saturday, November 03, 2007

VeganMoFo 3: The Apple Saga Continues


I forgot to include the VeganMoFo logo. So there it is.

If you're a new reader, you don't know that I've been making various things from apples from my apple tree, including sorbet, chutney, cupcakes, and jam.

Yesterday my husband and his father and I peeled and cored and chopped apples. Then I made apple jam (see previous post below) that was a little sweeter than before, because everyone wanted some sweeter jam. We now have 12 jars of jam (1 of which is a huge jar!).

This time I saved the cores and boiled them with a little water, and strained and pressed them to get juice, which was very sweet, so I diluted it with a bit of water.

The peels are sitting there, waiting for me to make fruit leather out of them, which will be an experiment. This will count as making something that intimidates me!

I did grind up half of the peels with grape juice and folded it into the apple cupcake recipe. This time I left out the cinnamon, added 2 pinches of nutmeg, and added (ta da!) 1.5 heaping tsp of a homemade curry powder my mother-in-law made. Topped with leftover frosting, it's got a gingerbread feel with a spicy kick!



And a few apples are left, with which my mother-in-law will make vegan apple halwa (which is like carrot halwa).

And now there are a few more apples, which I will use for SOMEthing else. You'll just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Isle Dance said...

Fantastic!!