Tuesday, November 06, 2007

VeganMoFo 6: Yogurt rice

No one believed me when I told them I mixed yogurt with rice. Even when I told them it was plain, unsweetened, slightly sour yogurt.

My sister once took some (with spicy hot mango pickle) for Halloween and called it mashed eyeballs with ant sauce. Yum.

Yogurt rice is a staple of the South Indian diet. It's the equivalent of dessert - a meal just wouldn't be a meal without it. The idea is that after having all that hot spicy food in that hot spicy weather you cool yourself off with something cold to eat and settle your stomach (can you say "active live cultures" ?)

So when I turned vegan, that was a hard thing to give up. I searched high and low for the perfect yogurt. Yogurt made of unsweetened soymilk at home is good, but somehow just this side of sweet. So imagine my joy when a while ago I discovered Wildwood Unsweetened Plain Soy Yogurt:



It's just the right sourness for taking straight from the fridge, mixing with cooled rice, and having with the latest spicy pickle. Which reminds me, I need to get more!

1 comment:

Kittee said...

i discovered the wildwood unsweetened yogurt whilst visiting friends in portland. it's really amazing. i have to order it by the case, because the whole foods here won't sell it. i love it in indian food as well, sweet plain yogurt just doesn't work for savory food.

xo
kittee