Monday, July 07, 2008

Complacency

Maybe you call it coincidence, but some law (perhaps invented by Murphy) suggests that when one gets too complacent about something, inevitably something will go wrong.

Like thinking I have plenty of toilet paper stocked only to have it all get soaked (see below).

Like discussing how we've been lucky in finances (yeah, there's asking for trouble) only to have expenses suddenly skyrocket (see below again).

Like being happy that I was getting well-prepared for the baby, with clothes washed and bags ready. And then discovering a major bathroom leak, which requires a remodel.

It's funny living outside a bedroom you have gotten used to. For the first time ever, I'm using the other shower (and realizing it has better water pressure). I'm living off of 5 tops and two bottoms (plus underwear) squirreled away in various closets while parents and in-laws generously make room. I'm finding myself drawn to my bedroom only to laugh and realize I can't be in there!

It's a good test of my complacency and probably good practice for the unexpected changes that are bound to come my way soon.

In the meantime, I take comfort in good books like Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, fresh fruit from the farmer's market (or a kind neighbor), and reading juicy anti-fashion articles like this one and really scary ones like this one.

1 comment:

Isle Dance said...

You go, girl! :o)