Sunday, January 01, 2012

Writing and drawing

Happy new year!

When I was six (and 12, and 19), if someone had asked me to choose between being an artist and a writer, I wouldn't have been sure. Somehow, in real adulthood, the possibility of art dropped away, and since everyone writes, I felt I could, too.

Fast forward through unfinished short stories and novels, hundreds of poems published only on the internet or to close family, and my current art expertise consists of making pasta landscapes in my son's preschool.

So, imagine my surprise when I was asked to do the illustrations for an unpublished children's book. Really? Me? An illustrator? I reacted with a mix of excitement and terror.

So here I am, relearning perspective and shading and brush techniques, stumbling between black and blue pens, constructing blending stumps out of the recycling bin. I'm back at art school, and loving every minute of it. In the meantime, I hope to create a few pieces of art that actually will suit the work and look publishable. Let's hope for the best!

Here's to new adventures this year!

No comments: