Monday, February 13, 2012

Vegan Pierogies

I have previously waxed ebullient about Post Punk Kitchen, one of my fave places to find vegan recipes. It has it all - sweets, remakes of non-vegan things, and dishes I've never even considered making, even in my pre-vegan days.

So it is with these vegan pierogies (sorry, pierogi). I only looked into it because my friend Lisa suggested that it would be a good quick, frozen lunch option for Little One.

Little did I know what I was getting into. It's not complicated to make, but does take various steps, such as:
  • making the potato stuffing
  • caramelizing the onions
  • making the dough and cutting circles
  • filling the circles and boiling them
I did steps 1 and 2 in advance, and 3 and 4 together, though in retrospect I wish I had made the dough in advance. Step 4 is by far the most fun for me, though Little One had fun with step 3, making circles with the glass and eating raw dough (thank goodness for no raw eggs, or yeast!).

I changed the recipe in a couple of ways: I used probably less onions in the filling than called for, and more importantly, I substituted rutabaga for potato, because it's rutabaga season at my CSA. It gave it a slightly sweeter taste. The caramelized onions are also red onions (Little One says purple, and that they taste like raisins). I served several of them with those on top and a spoonful of leftover filling.

I only wish I had used some whole wheat flour. Perhaps next time. There will definitely be a next time, because these somehow inexplicably make a simple, satisfying but phenomenal meal. Oohs and mms went around the table.

This recipe made about 40 pierogi, plenty for all of us (though we ate about 10 each, including Little One, unheard of!) plus a few leftover to be frozen for a future delightful lunch to which I am already looking forward.

No comments: