Sunday, September 09, 2012

JOT #40: Homemade tahini (for kale chips!)

It's been a while since I made kale chips, so when I saw the vendor at the farmer's market who carries the cheap but perfect curly kale, I grabbed two bunches.

I was ready to crisp them up when I remembered: I'm out of tahini. A quick search later turned up this recipe at Cinnamon Spice and everything nice (lots of good recipes there). I couldn't help but make it with the large jar of sesame seeds I seem to have accumulated.

It's simple - 1 cup sesame seeds (I used white, you could use black for a really cool color), toasted until golden brown, food processed (you could blend or grind or crush with a mortar and pestle) with 2 tablespoons or more of oil. I used sesame to help retain the flavor, but you could use olive (traditional) or some other oil. You'll have to grind finely and it still stays coarse compared to store tahini, but it's oh-so-flavorful.

Add that to the Green Goddess dressing and make your chips!
 

No comments: